Basements can be an ideal method for your house to use space. In particular, if you are someone who is seeking for additional space in your home, this is a key element of a house.
Read also: Benefits and Drawbacks of Constructing a Basement in Pakistan
COSTS TO INCURWHILE BUILDING BASEMENT
This is the step-by-step guide to basement construction along with the cost which you need to bear while having a basement in your house:
1. Design Costs
This includes expenses affiliated with the design and architecture of the basement. in order to avail the professionals service, you need to pay the architect and designers fees. Meanwhile, the cost for this is variable as it is based on the experienced level and asking fee of the experts.
2. Building and Permit Fee
Prior to starting off with the construction of the basement, it is extremely important to get your construction permit. It will help you to carry on with your construction without any obstacle from the relevant authorities. Please note the permit varies from location to location.
3. Soil and Grading Cost
Always inspect the soil in advance before construction starts. The water content of the ground is often high and leads to weaker foundational element conditions and dampness. So always go beforehand for soil tests to save yourself from future issues.
4. Foundation Costs
The cost of the foundation can be divided into concrete, pier and beam cost. However, it is pertinent to mention here that the rates of the construction material continuously change in the market.
5. Plumbing and Electricity Costs
Plumbing and electricity cost is totally depending on your budget and your preference. This expense is a variable expense. You’ll also have to pay for their services for the plumber and electrician. The Rs. 8,000 for washrooms and Rs. 5,000 for the kitchen are usually charged by a plumber.
6. Labor Costs
This is an enormous part of the total cost. The cost of labor differs from place to place.
We have provided all the essential cost for you in order to give you a fair idea of the costs involved in building a basement.
Please note: following estimated costing is for 4 Marla basement which includes a master room, washroom, storage and TV lounge.
|Cement||Rs. 270/sq. ft.|
|Sand||Rs. 90/ cubic ft.|
|Crush||Rs. 200/ cubic ft.|
|Steel||Rs. 561/sq. ft.|
|Bricks||Rs. 47/sq. ft.|
|Gravel||Rs. 27/sq. ft.|
|Total material cost||Rs. 1195/sq. ft.|
|Electrician||Rs. 22/sq. ft.|
|Plumber||Rs. 15/sq. ft.|
|Contract||Rs. 400/sq. ft.|
|Steel Fixer||Rs. 35/sq. ft.|
|Total labour cost||Rs. 472/sq. ft.|
|Water Stopper||Rs. 12/sq. ft.|
|Excavation||Rs. 35/sq. ft.|
|Bitumen||Rs. 14/sq. ft.|
|Polythene||Rs. 6/sq. ft.|
|Waterproofing||Rs. 30/sq. ft.|
|Electric Item||Rs. 20/sq. ft.|
|Sanitary Items||Rs. 45/sq. ft.|
|Tax||Rs. 42/sq. ft.|
|Total Miscellaneous Cost||Rs. 252/sq. ft.|
|Total Cost of Basement||Rs. 1,919/sq. ft.|
These are the cost of a basement. Please note that these costs keep on changing according to the market trend over time and are not reliable.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Constructing a Basement in Pakistan
Everyone wants their dream home where they can relieve stress after a busy and tiring day. Everybody desires a house that is well designed with all the essentials, such as location, spacious and well-kept spaces, ideas for design, good storage areas, and neat baths, and a basement.
Most of the time, however, individuals are confused about the cost of building houses or wary of building a basement in their home. A lot of people like it, although there are a decent number of individuals who think it’s not their thing to create a basement.
BENEFITS OF CONSTRUCTING A BASEMENT
Following are the advantages of constructing a basement.
- Having a basement means more availability of space. Building a basement for those who always struggle with the space and building a basement for the joint family system is very beneficial as you can accommodate extra furnisher in the basement. To cater your space problems, basement will be a great choice.
Read more: Increase in Construction Cost in Pakistan Over the Last 3 Years
- Try to build a basement in your house if you are planning to expand your family or someone who has a huge family. Typically, basements are quite wide and can handle individuals very comfortably. It is also a one-time investment that will be beneficial in the longer run.
- Basements are an ideal way for your curving site to be used. You can bring it to your advantage by building a basement if you have an inclined area in your plot. Not only will it give you extra room, but it also stables the level of your building.
- Basements normally have a lower temperature since they are not exposed directly to light.
- For those who lives in those region with hot temperature will be in a dreamland when you have a basement.
- Basement space is so versatile that it can be utilize for various purposes. You can use it as a living space, turn it into a home theater, utilize it as kids’ room, or make it a library in short, there are endless choices.
- You may not have to spend cash on building a separate store room if you have a basement in your home. The basement can also serve ideally as your storage room.
- The basement will be the best location if you have a heating system or other mechanical equipment to install in your home. The device will remain secure and protected and will not become noticeable.
- The basement is a very secure place. If you in an area where natural disasters such as tornadoes are abundant, consider building live a basement in your house.
However, apart from some benefits the basement too has some drawbacks.
DRAWBACKS OF CONSTRUCTING A BASEMENT
- If you live in an area where the water content in the air is high, do not decide for a basement. A basement does not receive enough sunshine and ventilation, creating moisture and humidity in the basement. Not only will the basement spoil your possessions and food, but the wall paint will also be spoiled.
- Residing in the area where water level is high will not only damage the basement but will also affect your foundations.
- The cost of basement repair and renovation is high. The basement may not be a good choice for you if you are short on funds. Many fixed costs, particularly earthwork, waterproofing, and ventilation, would have to be borne.
- Basements obtain less natural light, as described before. That means you’re going to have to spend in lights and in Pakistan electricity is expensive.
These were some benefits and drawbacks of constructing a basement. Consider all these points while making a decision regarding building a basement.