09 Feb 7 ENERGY SAVING TIPS AFTER YOU MOVE INTO YOUR NEW CUSTOM HOME
It’s never been easier to make your home run on less energy! Saving energy will lower your costs while decreasing your carbon footprint. Heating, cooling, and electricity costs are areas where you can save energy and money at home. We’d like to share a list of 7 Energy Saving Tips After You Move Into Your New Custom Home to help you get started:
1. Use Natural Light When Possible- Hanging mirrors is a simple way to add more natural light in your home. Mirrors reflect light and make rooms brighter.
2. Clean or Replace Air Filters In Your Home Regularly- Dirty air filters make your system(s) work harder and run longer than necessary
3. Use Your Ceiling Fans To Cool Down Rooms- Ceiling fans should be spinning in reverse in the summer as this improves airflow by pulling the cooler air up and circulating it around the room
4. Run Your Dishwasher (Fully Loaded) At Night- Dishwashers use the same amount of water each cycle, so running the dishwasher when it is full helps you maximize the water usage. Running your dishwasher at night when the outside temperature is cooler, helps keep the temperature in your kitchen cooler
5. Set Your Refrigerator And Freezer’s Temperature to the Manufacturer’s Recommendation- Refrigerators and freezers should be kept at the recommended temperatures that the manufacturer(s) suggest. Setting the temperatures too low uses up more energy and you could be paying for unnecessary costs on your energy bills
6. Use Energy Saving Advanced Power Strips- Advanced power strips help reduce wasted electricity and save on energy costs. They prevent electronics from drawing power when your electronic devices are idle (standby power or phantom load).
7. Turn Lights Off That Are Not Being Used- This not only helps you save money by reducing your electric bills, it also extends the life of your light bulbs so you won’t have to buy new bulbs as often.
Energy efficient appliances are another great way to consume less energy in your home. Visit ENERGY STAR for more information on ENERGY STAR products for your home.
Devonshire Custom Homes looks forward to helping you build your new custom dream home!