22 Mar 10 SPRING MAINTENANCE TIPS FOR YOUR HOME
Spring is officially here! We’d love to share 10 SPRING MAINTENANCE TIPS FOR YOUR HOME:
1. Inspect the Roof- Hire a professional to come out to inspect your roof. Keep an eye out for shingles that need to be repaired/replaced, cracks that need to be sealed, and moss or mold. It is advised to repair problem areas as soon as possible.
2. Clean the Gutters and Downspouts- Clear out the debris, look for leaks and direct all downspouts away from your foundation. You might want to hire a professional to clean out your gutters. Gutters and downspouts should be clean and running free.
3. Run Outside Faucets– It is a good idea to test outside faucets by turning on the water and then turning it off. Look for any signs of leaks as well.
4. Inspect the AC Unit and Schedule Service- To get the longest life out of your cooling system, the filters should be changed at least once each season. It is also a good idea to get on a regular service plan so that your AC is running as efficiently as possible, for as long as possible.
5. Check the Attic- Check your attic for signs that insects and critters are living there. Also check for must or mold smells. Proper insulation and good ventilation will help deter mold from growing in the attic.
6. Open the Windows- Open your windows to let fresh air in your home. This helps remove stagnant air and will aerate your home. You can also clean the interior windowsills when your windows are open.
7. Check for Signs of Termites- From around March through June be on the lookout for termites. They swarm in the spring. If you see signs of termites contact a professional termite company immediately to come out and assess the problem.
8. Check Sprinkler System- Spring is a great time of year to give your sprinkler system a test run. Keep an eye out for leaks or malfunctioning sprinkler heads. This is also a good time to make sure the sprinklers are watering your grass and plants, and not your porch, driveway, or sidewalk.
9. Spring Cleaning– It is time to do some deep spring cleaning. There are things that go neglected in your home and this is a great time to tackle some items on that list…like: dust your ceiling fans, clean wood and vinyl blinds, vacuum upholstered furniture and mattresses and consider renting a carpet cleaner for carpets and rugs.
10. Trim the Trees- Hire a professional company to come out to clear way dead branches and prune back leaning limbs as needed.
Spring is a great time to get outdoors and tackle some of your exterior home maintenance list. For more spring home maintenance checklist ideas visit Healthy Homes Maintenance Checklist.